1.01.2012

01 : good luck

Since the happy posts of 2010 went over so well, it looks like we're starting again in 2012! From big to small and everything in between, the next 365 days will feature a bit of happy that graced this designer's life. Starting with Day 01...

The start of a new year means one thing to me: Vasilopita; a semi-sweet bread, which contains a hidden coin that gives good luck to the receiver. A Greek tradition my family has partaken in for as far back as anyone can remember (well over 100 years!).

Even though it was difficult making the bread this year without my great grandma beside my grandma and I, I know she was there in spirit. I still miss her terribly. Her love, traditions, sayings and voice still carry on in my head and heart, and for that, I'm grateful.

Our beautiful, pre-baked smaller loaves

Despite my best efforts to actually have someone receive the coin (we cut the pan into 6 ginormous pieces, one for each of us), the universe had different plans. The coin was right between two pieces. Meaning... two winners: this girl and her uncle. Bring on the good luck!

The coin, complete with cut mark
 
So readers, here's to a year of good health, growth, happiness, family & friends, and of course, good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment